Montreal Castle (fr. Le château de Montréal), also known as Château d’Orthe, is located in Peyrehorade, in the French department of Landes. The castle is an object of historical heritage, according to the decree of June 15th, 2012.
The castle is a building in the Louis XIV style – the former Viscounts of Orth’s (Orthe) residence. It was built in the XVI century and transformed in the XVII and XVIII centuries. The castle’s initial name was Château de la Dame de Montréal.
It was the first building to monitor the movement of ships calling at Port du Roc.
The building was destroyed around 1515, and they began to build a castle in its place. Work ceased in 1523 during the Spanish invasion. The castle was hastily completed then, between 1570-1571 which affected its appearance: if the walls of the two lower tiers are made with carefully crafted limestone, then the last two floors offer poor-quality masonry, on which cracks are visible.
The castle “pearls” are the completely restored Diana salon (le salon de Diane), the Salon of Muses and Music (le salon des Muses et de la Musique), and the dining room (la salle à manger).
Powerful round towers were added to the castle’s four corners during the end of the XVI century.
The building underwent its first transformation in the 17th century. Part of the fortifications was demolished and gardens in the “à la Française” style appeared on the castle’s grounds.
A front yard appeared in the XVIII century. Three central balconies were restored at the same time.